What does it mean if a book's status is Hathi Trust?
The book I'm trying to request in the catalog has a status of Hathi Trust.
Answer Last Updated: Sep 04, 2020 Views: 8
The HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS) makes it possible for you to obtain lawful access to specific digital materials in HathiTrust that correspond to physical books held by the UMass Amherst Libraries during the pandemic. In order to have access to ETAS, we are unable to loan books from our collection that are available in HathiTrust.
Books in ETAS can be checked out for one hour at a time, and are unavailable for download.
To access books using HathiTrust:
- For access through the UMass Libraries' online catalog, start at the Five College catalog and search for the book.
- From the search results, click the title for the item you want to read to get to the record.
- If HathiTrust has a digitized copy of this item, you will see a link for Item record at HathiTrust. If there is a cover image for the book, the link will be to the right of the image. Click on that link.
- You will be taken to the HathiTrust page for the item, where you can click on the yellow Log In button at the top right.
- You will be prompted to select University of Massachusetts Amherst on a dropdown menu, then to log in with your UMass NetID and password.
- To read the book, click on the Temporary Access button at the bottom left of the HathiTrust record.
- For some books, you may see an orange bar that says "Access to this work is provided through the Emergency Temporary Access Service" and has a Checkout button. Click on the Checkout button. You will be able to access the book for an hour before it prompts you to renew your time.